The SSM Lay Movement are Catholic women and men of deep faith who respond to their Baptismal call to nurture and deepen their spiritual life in affiliation with the Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother. They build Christian community and further the kingdom of God. After completing the formation program, the person makes a commitment, generally for one year. This commitment can be renewed annually. The women and men of the SSM Lay Movement have financial autonomy and since they are not members of the congregation, there are no legal or financial obligations on the congregation.
The SSM Lay Movement establishes a complementary relationship of discipleship with the sisters which calls forth a commitment to:
- Accompany each other with mutual support on life’s journey toward holiness
- Inspire one another to live the legacy of Mother Frances Streitel
- Evangelize by proclaiming the goodness of God in word and action
- Address the needs of those who suffer, especially the poor, and
- Foster a society of justice, peace, and love